In Singapore, only licensed Electrical Workers (LEWs) are permitted to perform electrical work under the Electricity Act. The common electrical work involves in a HDB renovation such as installing new wiring, fixing, maintaining, checking, rewiring, measuring, or extending wiring.
There are 3 types of electrical license in Singapore: Electrician’s License, Electrical Technician’s License and Electrical Engineer’s License.
· Licensed Electricians: Design of installation of electrical works of lesser or equal to 45 kV
· Licensed Electrical Technicians: design of installation of electrical works of lesser or equal to 150 kVA
· Licensed Electrical Engineers: no limitation for Electrical Engineer’s License
** Check If a Worker Holds a Valid License. LEW license (card) contains a photograph of the licensed worker as well as his name, identification card number, and license number.
If you need to install high powered IT requirement, you need to check the electrical loading of your HDB Block. Do note that only the 20A isolator is permitted for air-con installation.
For your information, HDB blocks completed on/ after January 1, 1994 or those that have undergone the Main Upgrading Programme (MUP)/ Home Improvement Programme (HIP), are free-upgrade to with a 40-amp main switch.
If you are unsure of your block's electrical loading, you can clickhere to check or contact the HDB branch office at 1800-225-5432 (toll-free) to inquire.
• Apply for an HDB permit when…
A new 15A power point or 20A isolator is needed before the installation of the air-conditioner unit.
• An HDB permit is not needed when…
The previous flat owner or the HDB supplied the current authorised 15A power point or 20A isolator.
• Only BCA trained air-conditioner installers…
…is capable of installing air-conditioning systems. Within two weeks of installation, an installation report must be mailed or emailed to the HDB Branch.
· Embedding wires in a Reinforced Cement (RC) slab, beam, column, wall, wall plaster, or other finishes is prohibited.
· All of the electrical equipment should be planned and visualized.
· Ensure that light switches are connected
· Choose the right type of switches
If you hand on your renovation to us, don’t worry! We will help you done all the things! Remember! Engage only interior design firm or contractors from the Directory of Renovation Contractor (DRC) to carry out the renovation, including those works that do not require HDB’s approval. Every HDB home owner responsible for the renovation in your flats to ensure your interior design firm/ contractor carries out all works in line with HDB guidelines.
Albedo Design is a Registered HDB Renovation Contractor in Singapore. We have over 20 years’ experience in apply permits for all specifications that need get the approval Housing and Development Board in a short time.